Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Best Work

I must admit, when I first heard that Edmonde had to have his stomach pumped, it didn't faze me much. But once I got to know the hospital staff, I actually started to feel the pressure. Peer pressure. Why did Edmonde need his stomach pumped? Because, yesterday, when I got into the Gist mill, I specifically told him not to eat thumbtacks. Did he listen to me? No. He, in his infinite wisdom, thought it would be socially acceptable to eat a whole container of thumbtacks.

And now he's in intensive care, and he may not survive the night. Why didn't he heed my warning? I'll tell you why. The other week, I assigned him to fix a bug in the Gist matrix. It's a heavy detail job, and only someone with the experience Edmonde has with the art of metrics can accurately predict the Gist flow. That's not to say I couldn't have done it. I'm a master of the Gist. But I need to delegate, as my job is managerial in nature. So I affixed a special plaque in his honor and got back to shuffling paper around.

That's when all the madness happened. I looked out the window and saw Edmonde, his eyes red with fury, shucking corn. Now, normally, I wouldn't be against the noble practice of farming. But he took this thing too far. He demanded the other employees dress like scarecrows and keep the rabbits out of his garden. I just can't let him do that. It promotes a bad work environment. Edmonde needs to learn how to work better with others. So I signed him up for a weeklong seminar on how to cope with the utter futility of life. May the spirit of the Oak guide him in his hour of need.

6 broke it down:

Blogger Bathroom Hippo verbatim:



Saw you guys arguing as my blimp floated over. Hawked a loogie toward you but it hit a large quantity of thumbtacks which Edmonde consumed.

I pray for a full recovery.

3/08/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger flatlander verbatim:

With so many people allergic these days, it's asking a lot of one's staff to impersonate scarecrows. Myself, I'm allergic to meteor showers.

3/09/2006 1:44 AM  
Blogger The Taker of Gist verbatim:

Sweet mother of Gist! The- what? I can't recall... perhaps it has something to do with the voyage I recently took to the bowels of the Earth... wherein I was forced by Lord Vader to breakdance until I could no longer take it!

But the Gist there was delicious.

3/09/2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger Elmo verbatim:

You need to stop babysitting Edmonde.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. Quote from one of Gist's really old ancestors.

3/10/2006 1:08 AM  
Blogger wallycrawler verbatim:

If there is a Dog in the sky Edmonde will pass and become a saint in heaven . We need him to wage war against the Archangels Lassie and Rin Tin Tin .

Amen

3/10/2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger The Taker of Gist verbatim:

Quotes are like oats; you need them as long as you plan to eat breakfast out on the plain. In Spain. In the rain. What a pain.

Sky dogs are far more menacing than rain dogs. Rain dogs are just pathetic, if you ask me. No way to know where they came from. No way at all.

3/10/2006 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Give More Gist