Friday, March 31, 2006

Firetrucks Make Good Pets

I had a firetruck when I was ten years old. It was the summer of love, and I was in love with my new firetruck. Old Reddy, I'd call it. We went everywhere together. Even down to the old creek. That's where an ancient Inca necktie was buried, I'd heard. We went looking for signs of some Paleolithic civilization, to no avail. Old Reddy was in no mood for failure, so while I went to turn back, he kept on driving. "No, Reddy! Come back! You're going too far into the creek," I cried. But it was too late. He was gone, gone forever, washed away in a flash flood.

I never got over Old Reddy. I bought a new firetruck, a taxi, and a double-decker bus. No chemistry at all. Stayed up late a couple of nights, praying for Reddy to come home. He never did. Days turned into weeks and again into years. When I was coming home from graduation, I stopped by the old creek. Found a rusted out wheel. It was a somber moment, pierced only by the humming of the engine. "Leave the firetruck," purred the Honda. "You don't need some old childhood specter driving you insane."

"Never talk about Old Reddy like that in my presence again!" I screamed, whipping my head around. Silence. When I turned back to the creek, the wheel was gone, floated away on a thin stream of oil. Oil leaking out of... Old Reddy! Oh, you're alive! I'd thought I'd lost you long ago... what? I- I don't understand. Wha- it was all a lie? Yes, it's all starting to add up. The sleepless nights... the constant moaning outside my windows... I'm the victim of an eternity-long practical joke! This will not stand. I want my lawyer. Who said I forfeited my movie rights? Someone get me a pen.

8 broke it down:

Blogger Bathroom Hippo verbatim:



I once had a pet snake. We went everywhere together. One day he got loose and I went searching for him. I turned on the news, and discovered that two thousand people had just vanished, and that three hundred thousand pounds of feces were discovered at the local park.

To make a long story short I got the hell out of there.

3/31/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger The Taker of Gist verbatim:

Hah! That math does not work out well at all!

Do you expect me to believe that every one of those people weighed an average of 150 pounds?! The Gist along is staggering.

3/31/2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Bathroom Hippo verbatim:



You failed to calculate the unmentioned weight of snake urine.

I didn't mention it because I have some dignity left.

How's that occupation of Europe going?

3/31/2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger The Taker of Gist verbatim:

Swimingly!

3/31/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Joaquin Mattison verbatim:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/31/2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger wallycrawler verbatim:

My advise to you...burn the Honda and rebuild the fire truck !

Come up from behind the "rice car" boot it in the trunk , that will take it out forever , pour some American made ethanol over the hood and lite her up . Children from all over the area will bring marshmallows and hotdogs ! It will be a great event .

I didn't know you spoke Japanese ? Here's some news all Jap cars lie ! It knows where your fire trucks at . Maybe if ya squeeze it a bit before ya light it up , it will talk ?

4/01/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger His Majesty verbatim:

Your firetruck is now in my control.

For I am the undisputed ruler of the universe.

4/01/2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger The Taker of Gist verbatim:

My firetruck is red.

4/02/2006 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Give More Gist